An apple pie is made of perfectly balanced sweet-tangy chunks of apples sticking together with a flaky, tender, and buttery crust.
With the right caramelized glaze on top, it makes an ideal treat for any occasion. This pudding-like baked sweet with a hint of cinnamon and best-flavored apples is enough to complete our meals.
To keep up with the saying, an apple a day keeps the doctor away, it is better to prepare ourselves and check how long to bake Apple pie at 400 degrees to get the right crunchy feel.
Apples Used for Making the Pie
You require chunks of fruits that are not too sour and neither too sweet. They need to be perfectly balanced in taste. So, here are some apples you can use for preparing the apple pie.
It belongs to a sweet category and gives immense flavor to your apple pie. Since it is firm, it provides the pie with the right texture and taste.
They are the first choice for an Apple pie as they do not turn mushy while cooking. An apple pie requires a firm apple.
This apple is firm and holds shape; it has a sweet and tangy taste.
It can also work for a pie. But some varieties turn softer in some time.
You cannot use this apple alone for the pie. However, since it has a nice texture, you can mix it with another apple for the best results.
The crisp and sweet flavor is the best combination for baking an apple pie.
How to Cook Apple Pie in the Oven at 400 Degrees?
This simple dessert can be tricky to create a perfect mild flavored and delicate apple pie. However, choosing the right apples, cooking time, and cooking at the correct temperatures make for a moderately sweet pudding-like pie.
So, here’s the detailed recipe for baking an apple pie in the microwave oven.
#Ingredients for the Pie
Get the below-mentioned ingredients in the given quantity and cook a delicious apple pie with us.
For the Filling
- Crispy Apples – 5/12 cups (Peeled and sliced)
- Pear – 2
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Brown Sugar – ½ cup
- Almond Flour – ½ cup
- Lime Juice – 1 tbsp
- Corn Starch – 2 tsp
- Ground Cinnamon – ½ tsp
- Ground Ginger – ¼ tsp
- Powdered Nutmeg – ¼ tsp
- Beaten Egg White – 1
- Unsalted Butter – 2 tbsp
- Pear Cider – 1 cup
For the crust
- Almond Flour – ½ cup
- All Purpose Flour – ½ cup
- Unsalted Butter – 5 tbsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Beaten Egg Yolk – 1
- Almond Butter – 3 tbsp
- Cold Water – ½ cup
How to Make the Pie?
Follow the below-mentioned steps to prepare your baked apple pie.
#For the Crust
- Blend all ingredients except cold water and egg yolk.
- Add cold water till you have a dough-like consistency.
- Once you prepare a soft dough, divide it into 1/3rd and 2/3rd portions.
- Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
#For the Filling
- Peel the apple and remove the core. Make apple slices.
- Make a pulp of the fruits with cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, salt, ginger, and pear cider.
- Cook them till they turn soft, and slowly add cornstarch to the mixture once you remove them from the heat.
- Drain once cooled
- Combine the remaining ingredients of the filling.
- The oven is to be heated at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place a baking sheet.
- Make 1/8-inch thick circles with the dough balls.
- Fill the 2/4rd of the pie circles with the filling.
- Fill the pie plate and fold the extra dough at the corners without trimming the excess dough from the rims.
- Cover the pie evenly with the dough and coat the top portion with the egg yolk.
- Garnish with a few almond slices.
- Set the pie to bake.
How Long to Bake Apple Pie at 400 Degrees?
It takes an hour to cook the Apple pie at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. The pie is to be baked at this temperature until the apple filling appears tender and the crust starts turning brown.
However, a typical 9-inch apple pie will take about 75 minutes to cook in an oven at 400 degrees.
Extra baking of the pie by lowering the temperatures will work fine as this will ensure that the liquid filling in the pie thickens well enough.
So, ensure that you reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees till the crust starts to brown lightly. Then, diminish the heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the pie for an hour until the juices bubble out and the crust turns golden brown.
After that, cover the crust edge with a foil strip to avoid burning and cool it before serving.
Can you Increase the Oven Temperature?
Apple pie can be baked at changing temperatures. However, you must start at a higher degree for the initial 20 minutes to get the right crunch.
Later, lower the temperature for the rest of the time. However, keep rotating the pie to get it evenly browned at the top.
Keep the oven temperature at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for the next 15 minutes, reducing it to 375 degrees for the next 45 minutes.
The filling gets thicker if baking happens for a longer time.
How Can You Tell When Your Apple Pie Has Baked Correctly?
Making a perfect Apple pie can be challenging since knowing when the pie is ready is significant.
So, here are a few steps to check if the pie is ready
#Look Into the Apple Variety
Checking the apples before making the pie is necessary, as a pie needs crunchy apples.
#Get a Visual Clue
When you see juices coming out of the top crust, it indicates that the apple pie has baked well.
#Check the Temperature of the Filling
When you insert a thermometer inside the pie, and it shows 195 degrees Fahrenheit, the pie is done.
#Check the Crust
A nicely done pie means a browned crust.
Baking Tips to Improve the Recipe
Here are some effective tips to enhance the taste of this dessert.
- Apple pies are to be baked during the apple seasons, like in autumn or early winter, since old apples get soft.
- Adding Pear to an apple pie helps to add flavors.
- Adding almond butter to the crust gives a perfect texture and taste.
- Apple Pie crust gets its proper texture by keeping it aside for an hour as it lets the apple release its juices.
- Bake at 400’ F for some time as it helps the pie thicken.
- To avoid the crust burning, place a foil over the pie to slow the browning.
- Cool the pie before cutting it.
Do You Need to Freeze or Refrigerate the Pie?
The apple pie stays fresh for longer if kept in the fridge.
Once it has cooled, you can leave it outside for a day or two. However, storing it in the freezer with plastic wrap will keep it fresh for 2 to 3 months.
When making the Apple pie, make sure to cut the apples into thick slices, as the same size will let you know how long to bake Apple pie at 400 degrees.
While you fill the bottom layer with the liquid for the pie, use a slotted spoon to leave maximum juice in the bowl. Also, use a pear cider to balance the flavor.
Besides choosing the proper apple, you also require good spices for that best Apple pie. And last but not least, you can always have it with ice cream or whipped cream.