Bord Foren


Scottish roundup: Rangers’ win at Dundee interrupted by flares in stand

Rangers crushed Dundee 5-0 in a Premiership match that was delayed due to traffic and then briefly suspended following flares in the away end.

Ryan Jack’s strike had the visitors in front at half-time before four goals after the break from Danilo, Sam Lammers, Cyriel Dessers and James Tavernier extended their unbeaten run under new manager Philippe Clement to three games. Dundee offered little as an attacking force, with Amadou Bakayoko seeing his second-half effort well saved by Jack Butland.

Kick-off was delayed by 45 minutes after the Rangers team bus was caught up in traffic congestion crossing the Tay Bridge. Play was then suspended not long after kick-off for a further 18 minutes after flares lit by the visiting supporters set off fire alarms in the stand, with referee Kevin Clancy taking the players off the pitch.

Buy, develop, sell: Scottish football clubs should copy Portugal’s modelRead more

Oh Hyeon-gyu scored late as Celtic came from behind and returned to winning ways with a 2-1 victory over St Mirren.

St Mirren took a shock lead in the seventh minute when Conor McMenamin nodded in his first goal for the club from Greg Kiltie’s cross but Celtic brought it level just over 10 minutes later through David Turnbull’s curling effort from the edge of the area.

The decisive moment of the game came in the 83rd minute when Oh collected a pass from Odin Thiago Holm before lashing home for Celtic, who drew 0-0 with Hibs last time out.

Celtic’s win came on the day that the club banned fans who are registered as members of the Green Brigade ultras group. Their season tickets have been suspended pending a review, as well as being denied tickets to away matches.

READ:   Clarke double eases Sunderland to win to extend Sheffield Wednesday’s woes

Quick Guide

Hibernian condemn ‘abhorrent’ racist abuse


Hibernian have condemned the “abhorrent” racist comment made towards Allan Delferrière on social media following the 2-2 draw with Ross County in the Scottish Premiership on Tuesday night. The 21-year-old Belgian midfielder came off the bench at Easter Road to score an own goal to make it 2-1 before the Staggies levelled the match through Jordan White. 

A club statement read: “Hibernian FC is aware of the racist comment made towards Allan Delferrière on social media following our match against Ross County. The club condemns this abhorrent action in the strongest possible way. Racism and any kind of discrimination have no place at Hibernian FC, in football or society as a whole.

“The club will investigate the post alongside the social media platforms in question and if identified, the individuals in question will face the strongest possible action. Allan has the full support of everyone at Hibernian FC. There is no room for racism.”

Delferrière shared the abuse on his social media and said: “We’re in 2023 and the racism still going. To be fair I don’t care about the criticism but the racism needs to stop.” PA Media

Was this helpful?Thank you for your feedback.

The final straw for the club after a series of issues with the Green Brigade came in last week’s Champions League clash with Atlético Madrid, when thousands of supporters across Celtic Park defied the club’s appeals not to display Palestine flags in the stands.

Celtic cited an “increasingly serious escalation in unacceptable behaviours” for their decision. There were hundreds of empty spaces at the bottom of the standing section for the contest with St Mirren. The Green Brigade has called the suspension of its members “evidently unfair”.

READ:   Clemson running back Will Shipley in concussion protocol after hit at North Carolina State

Aberdeen moved up to sixth with a convincing 4-2 win over Motherwell.

The Dons opened the scoring in the 26th minute thanks to Jamie McGrath’s close-range header and doubled their advantage when Nicky Devlin found the net just before the break.

skip past newsletter promotion

Sign up to Football Daily

Free daily newsletter

Kick off your evenings with the Guardian’s take on the world of football

Privacy Notice: Newsletters may contain info about charities, online ads, and content funded by outside parties. For more information see our Privacy Policy. We use Google reCaptcha to protect our website and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

after newsletter promotion

McGrath added a second to further extend Aberdeen’s lead before Luis Lopes nodded home from a corner to make it four and late consolation goals from Theo Bair and Mika Biereth were not enough.

Nicky Clark scored a brace as St Johnstone claimed their first league win of the season at the 10th attempt with a 2-1 victory over Kilmarnock.

Clark netted twice in the first seven minutes to give the home side a 2-0 lead but they were pegged back just after half-time when Kyle Vassell slotted home.

St Johnstone were made to sweat for the three points when Dara Costelloe was sent off for a late challenge on Matty Kennedy but held on for victory.

Hearts bounced back from back-to-back defeats with a 1-0 victory over Livingston.

The hosts were made to wait until the 79th minute when Kenneth Vargas pounced on a Jorge Grant cross at the back post to condemn Livingston to their third straight league defeat.